Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: Aaron Bentley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:05:39 -0400

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:50:54AM CEST, I got a letter
> where Aaron Bentley <[email-masked]> said that...
>> Petr Baudis wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, one last question - do you do most of the work locally, fetching
>>> bits of data as you need, or remotely, only taking input/producing
>>> output over the network (the pserver model)?
>> Personally, I do not do remote commits over slow links.  At home, I use
>> a single machine, and mirror my repository to a public machine using
>> rsync.  At work, I store my repository on an NFS server, and push my
>> repository to a public machine using rsync.
> 
> I meant the work of the commands (bzr log and such), not your personal
> workflow. :-) Sorry for being unclear.

When using the native network protocol, work can happen remotely.  (But
the native protocol is quite new, and support for "smart" operations is
currently limited.)  When using the dumb protocols, data is fetched from
the remote system and processed locally.  Light checkouts are not
recommended when the server is on a slow link, but heavyweight checkouts
are quite suitable in that situation.

Aaron