Subject: Re: [PATCH] Use column indexes in git-cvsserver where necessary.

From: "Martin Langhoff (CatalystIT)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:02:01 +1300

Shawn Pearce wrote:
> Tonight I found a git-cvsserver instance spending a lot of time in
> disk IO while trying to process operations against a Git repository
> with >30,000 objects contained in it.
> 
> Blowing away my SQLLite database and rebuilding all tables with
> indexes on the attributes that git-cvsserver frequently runs queries
> against seems to have resolved the issue quite nicely.
> 
> Since the indexes shouldn't hurt performance on small repositories
> and always helps on larger repositories we should just always create
> them when creating the revision storage tables.
 >
 > Signed-off-by: Shawn O. Pearce <[email-masked]>

Ack.

I am thinking we need a lightweight schema versioning mechanism to 
decide whether the DB schema needs changes such as this. Too much work 
for this though. ;-)

We have a simple one in Moodle I could port when the time comes.

cheers,

martin
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/           PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
OFFICE: +64(4)916-7224                              MOB: +64(21)364-017
       Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler - Einstein
-----------------------------------------------------------------------