Subject: Re: git-shortlog mailmap

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:43:26 +0200

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Petr Baudis wrote:
> 
>> I think I've complained about this in the past, but can't find the mail.
>>
>> Dear diary, on Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 11:25:50AM CEST, I got a letter
>> where Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> said that...
>>> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>>>
>>>> BTW what happened to the builtin shortlog? It is the last Perl script I 
>>>> use regularly... (should make people happy who are stuck with Activision 
>>>> Perl...)
>>> BTW. both Perl version and builtin shorlog have email->real name translation
>>> table built in. In Perl script version it is in __DATA__ section, and we
>>> could update it using Inline::Files module, in C version it was in table.
>>> But in fact this list is project specific. Shouldn't we make it customizable
>>> (::sigh::, yet another file in $GIT_DIR...).
>> I really dislike the fact that we _do_ this mapping at all, this seems
>> so much a totally wrong point at which to do it. The information tracked
>> in Git is still wrong and all the tools except shortlog still display it
>> wrong - why should shortlog in particular be special? Why don't we do
>> this at the git-am time instead?
> 
> Because git-shortlog has to deal also with _historical_ data, which caused
> one way or the other to have only email and not realname recorded. So till
> history gets rewritteen, and tags resigned, git-shortlog has to do the
> mapping to have meaningfull output.

Wouldn't this be better implemented in the rev-list code then, so all 
log viewers can benefit from it?

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se