Subject: Re: fetching packs and storing them as packs

From: Eran Tromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 00:31:10 +0200

Hi Shawn,

On 2006-10-28 09:21, Shawn Pearce wrote:
> Lets say that a pack X is NOT eligible to be repacked if
> "$GIT_DIR/objects/pack/pack-X.keep" exists.
> 
> Thus we want to have the new ".keep" file for historical packs and
> incoming receive-pack between steps c and g.  In the former case
> the historical pack is already "very large" and thus one additional
> empty file to indicate we want to retain that pack as-is is trivial
> overhead (relatively speaking); in the latter case the lifespan of
> the file is relatively short and thus any overhead associated with it
> on the local filesystem is free (it may never even hit the platter).

Sounds perfect.

It would be nice to have whoever creates a pack-*.keep file put
something useful as the content of the file, so we'll know what to clean
up after abnormal termination:

$ grep -l ^git-receive-pack $GIT_DIR/objects/pack/pack-*.keep