Subject: git-rev-list: --objects list inconsistency

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:54:17 +0100

I observed a puzzling behavior of git-rev-list:

$ git-rev-list master^^..master 
f3364ca9405e17772fecea1d06c40b9965b8e6e4
bb3bfda219a85d2d49e62c261b9c8f6795ebdc22
$ git-rev-list --max-count=2 master 
f3364ca9405e17772fecea1d06c40b9965b8e6e4
bb3bfda219a85d2d49e62c261b9c8f6795ebdc22
$ git-rev-list --objects master^^..master |wc -l
     10
$ git-rev-list --objects --max-count=2 master |wc -l
   2376

As you can see, without --objects, master^^..master and --max-count=2
list the same two commits.

But with --objects I get different object lists. I don't even know which
one is the one to expect, but I certainly would not have expected the
lists to be different. What's wrong here?

BTW, the objects listed with --objects --max-count=2 are basically the
entire tree at master plus the few objects that changed since master^^.

$ git --version
git version 1.4.4.rc2.gc8641

-- Hannes