Subject: Re: Cleaning up git user-interface warts

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:15:26 +0100

Nicolas Pitre wrote:

[ axed a lot of stuff that I didn't fully grok ]

> 
> This becomes formalized as:
> 
> 	git_pull [<URL>] [<local_name>]
> 
> If <URL> includes a branch name then <local_name> is a single branch 
> name.  If <URL> doesn't include any branch name then <local_name> 
> becomes a local branch group name containing all branches in the remote 
> repository.

I would change that so "local_name" is always a branch group name, but 
branch group names can be used as refs. That is,

git pull startrek.com/kirk.git:master kirk

would always create the branch-head .git/refs/remote/kirk/master which 
for short can be referenced as just "kirk" (barring clashes ofc), so 
long as it only has one branch tracked.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se