Subject: Re: Cleaning up git user-interface warts

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 02:20:41 +0100

Linus Torvalds escreveu:
>  - git itself has now done it that way for the last 18 months, and the 
>    fact is, the people _complaining_ are a small subset of the people who 
>    actually use git on a daily basis and don't complain.

that's not a good argument; the set of git users is a small subset of 
those that looked at git, and dismissed it because they couldn't wrap 
their heads around it.   It's worth trying to get those on board by 
fixing the annoying little issues that have popped up in this thread. 
The technical base for GIT is excellent, and the only reason for not 
using it is its arcane interface.

A version control system is often only tangentially related to the real 
work that needs to be done, so the incentive to learn it well is small, 
   and a steep learning curve only makes it worse.

FWIW, I regularly mess up with the differences between fetching, pulling 
and merging.  In particular, having to do a two step process to get 
remote changes in,

   git pull url-to-server master:master
      ..error message about not being a fast-forward..

   git pull --update-head-ok url-to-server master:master
      ..still an error message about update not being a fast-forward..

       (sigh)

   git pull url-to-server master:scrap-branch

   git pull . scrap-branch:my-current-branch

       (make mental note of deleting scrap-branch)

--