Subject: multi-project repos (was Re: Cleaning up git user-interface warts)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:40:56 +0100

Linus Torvalds escreveu:
> 
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>> Actually, only a 2 weeks ago, you suggested that I share the website
>> and main source code for my project in a single repository for reasons
>> of organization.
>>
>> In this setup I find it logical to do
>>
>>   git init-db
>>   git pull ..url.. website/master
> 
> I don't disagree per se. It should be easy to support, it's just that it's 
> not traditionally been something we've ever done.
> 
> So the way you'd normally set up a single repo that contains multiple 
> other existing repositories is to basically start with one ("git clone") 

You're misunderstanding me: the multi-repo is at git.sv.gnu.org is the
remote one. The example I gave was about locally creating a single
project repo from a remote multiproject repo. 

On a tangent: why is there no reverse-clone?  I have no shell access
to the machine, so when I created the remote repo, I had to push, and
ended up putting 1.2 Gb data on the server.

<looks at manpage>

is this send-pack? From UI perspective it would be nice if this could
also be done with clone,

  git clone . ssh+git://....

>And that "git pull" semantic actually means that if you want a _bare_ 
>repository, I think "git --bare init-db" + "git --bare fetch" actually

yes, this works. Two remarks:

* it needs

  website/master:master

otherwise you still don't have a branch.

* why are objects downloaded twice?  If I do

  git --bare fetch git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git web/master

it downloads stuff, but I don't get a branch. If I then do 

  git --bare fetch git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git web/master:master

it downloads the same stuff again. 

-- 
 Han-Wen Nienhuys - [email-masked] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen