Subject: Re: Cleaning up git user-interface warts

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 01:05:17 +0100

Linus Torvalds escreveu:
> My real point was/is that usually it's really not the "naming details" 
> that people _really_ have problems with. The real problems tend to be in 
> learning a new workflow.

I agree that discussions on naming may cloud the issue, but "learning
the workflow" implies that people should adapt to the limitations of
their tools.  That's only a viable stance when the tools are finished
and completely perfect.

Until that time, it would be good goal to remove all idiosyncrasies,
all gratuitious asymetries and needless limitations in the commands of
git, eg.

 - clone but not a put-clone,

 - pull = merge + fetch, but no command for merge + throw

 - clone for getting all branches of a repo, but no command for
   updating all branches of a repo.  

Of course, when all warts are fixed, backward compatibility will force
us to choose some new names. At that point, a discussion on naming is
in place.

-- 
 Han-Wen Nienhuys - [email-masked] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen