Subject: Re: Mozilla, git and Windows

From: Andy Whitcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:34:22 +0000

Jon Smirl wrote:
> In the other thread we are discussing the conversion of Mozilla CVS to
> git format. This is something that has to be done but it is not the
> only issue. Without a native Windows port they won't even consider
> using git. There is also the risk that the features needed by Mozilla
> will be completed after they choose to use a different SCM.
> 
> Even if we implement all of the needed features git still needs to win
> the competition against the other possible choices. The last I heard
> the leading candiate is SVN/SVK.

Do we need to worry too much about taking over the world in one day?
Yes of course git is _the_ superior solution etc, but too many new users
at once is always painful.

I think you are more likely to win letting them convert over to SVN.
>From there people naturally start using git mirrors from the SVN trunk.
 Cirtainly I have two projects which do not use git, one in CVS and one
in SVN.  I just svnimport that and work in git.  I am confident with
time the project will migrate, but I am happy other git users are happy
all without it being the tool of choice.

-apw