Subject: Re: git and bzr

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:45:32 +0100

Raimund Bauer wrote:
> * Carl Worth wrote, On 30.11.2006 01:05:
>> Let's help people do exactly that by making the behavior of "git
>> commit -a" be the default for "git commit".
>>   
> Maybe we could do that _only_ if the index matches HEAD, and otherwise 
> keep current behavior?
> So people who don't care about the index won't get tripped up, and when 
> you do have a dirty index, you get told about it?

Sounds sane. Especially if we couple it with a hint for the user to use 
"commit -a" when he/she wants to do blanket commits.

So in essence that would mean:
If no pathspecs are given and index matches current HEAD, print out
"Nothing to commit but changes in working tree. Assuming 'git commit -a'

and then act accordingly. Carl, do you think that would satisfy the 
desires of your RedHat peers? Always doing '-a' by default is terribly 
wrong for those of us who actually use partial commits a lot, and it 
would also rob git of a lot of its power.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se