Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: sf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:21:20 +0100

Martin Waitz wrote:
> hoi :)
> 
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 01:03:48PM +0100, sf wrote:
>> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> 2. You can never prune the main (the supermodule's) repository, at least 
>> not with what git provides today.
> 
> It even already works (well, not with what git provides today, but with
> my implementation). git-prune simply walks all the submodules, too, when
> doing it's reachability analysis.
> 
> What does not work is a prune inside the submodule, because it does not
> know about all the commits used by the supermodule.

I just had a short (really short) look at your work. My impression is 
that your repository setup is much too complicated.

As I proposed elsewhere: For submodules to work you only need to allow 
commits in tree objects (that is what your implementation requires as 
well). Everything else is in the tools. Much simpler.

Regards

Stephan