Subject: Re: git-svn and empty directories in svn

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 20:08:16 -0800

Eric Wong wrote:
> Since git-svn misses some other stuff (many property settings,
> externals) I'll be working on an internal logging format that can help
> track those things.  It'd be nice to have a command like git svn
> checkout which works like git checkout; but empty directories are
> created.

Presumably once the submodule support is worked out, svn externals could 
be represented as git-svn-managed submodules, yes?

In fact, I'd go so far as to say it should be a design goal of the 
submodule support: you should be able to indicate somehow that a 
submodule is a git clone of some non-git resource, and anything that 
iterates through the submodules (e.g. to freshen them from their 
respective origins) should know how to run git-svn or whatever so it's 
all seamlessly integrated. I suppose that's a special case of making 
git-svn and friends more tightly integrated with git in general; if the 
git "push" and "fetch" commands know to run git-svn instead of talking 
to a remote git repository, then it might Just Work for submodules.

Independent of the supermodule being managed by git-svn, the "my 
software depends on externally-managed code" problem that submodules are 
attempting to address would be solved a lot more comprehensively if the 
remote code base could be an svn repository and git knew enough to run 
git-svn as appropriate to keep it fresh. (Not just svn, of course; any 
foreign CM system that has an equivalent of git-svn should work.) It'd 
be pretty cool to have a supermodule that tied together some 
native-git-managed code, a couple of external svn repositories, and a 
CVS tree or two, all under a single umbrella with the details 
automatically taken care of by default.