Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:33:34 +0100

Uwe Kleine-Koenig wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> The only problem I'm seeing atm is that the supermodule somehow has to 
>> mark whatever commits it's using from the submodule inside the submodule 
>> repo so that they effectively become un-prunable, otherwise the 
>> supermodule may some day find itself with a history that it can't restore.
> One could circumvent that by creating a separate repo for the submodule
> at checkout time and pull the needed objects in the supermodule's odb
> when commiting the supermodule.  This way prune in the submodule cannot
> do any harm, because in it's odb are no objects that are important for
> the supermodule.
> 

Yes, but then you'd lose history connectivity (I'm assuming you'd only 
pull in the tree and blob objects from the submodule, and prefix the 
tree-entrys with whatever directory you're storing the submodul in).

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se