Subject: Re: git newbie problems

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:39:52 +0100

Jakub Narebski escreveu:
>> 84219bb don't have input/templates/ any longer.
>> fatal: Entry '.gitignore' would be overwritten by merge. Cannot merge.
>> No merge strategy handled the merge.
>>
>> As a git newbie, I'm quite confused.  OK, there's no merge strategy...
>> so what do I do now?  With cvs, the changes would be dumped into the
>> file.  I look at the file, found the conflict, and tried it again.  I
>> got the same error message, and then it occurred to me that although I
>> changed the files in my ~/usr/src/lilypond, git might be storing these
>> files somewhere else.
> 
> Yes, the git error messages certainly needs to be made more user-friendly.
> What git says here that one version has '.gitignore' file handled by version
> control, and second has it outside version control. At least I think what
> it does.

Which is actually not true. .gitignore has been in the repo since we
started using git.  I have also seen this message pop up a few times
in the beginning, but I can't recall why they happened.

-- 
 Han-Wen Nienhuys - [email-masked] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen