Subject: Re: kernel.org mirroring (Re: [GIT PULL] MMC update)

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 12:27:29 -0500

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Jakub Narebski wrote:
> 
>>> As I said, I'm not talking (at least now) about saving generated HTML
>>> output. This I think is better solved in caching engine like Squid can
>>> be. Although even here some git specific can be of help: we can invalidate
>>> cache on push, and we know that some results doesn't ever change (well,
>>> with exception of changing output of gitweb).
>> It depends on how creatively you think ;-)
>>
>> Consider generating static HTML files on each push, via a hook, for many 
>> of the toplevel files.  The static HTML would then link to the CGI for 
>> further dynamic querying of the git database.
> 
> You mean that the links in this pre-generated HTML would be to CGI
> pages?

Yes, they must be.  Otherwise, the gitweb interface changes.

You don't want to pre-generate HTML for every possible git query, that 
would cause an explosion of data.

Both the HTML generator and CGI would need to know which pages were 
pre-generated and which are not.

	Jeff