Subject: Re: [PATCH] "master" should be treated no differently from any other branch

From: Jerome Lovy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:20:04 +0100

Hi,

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Andy Parkins wrote:
> 
>> "master" shouldn't get special treatment; making different log messages 
>> based on the name of the branch is bad form.  What if a user likes 
>> "my/master" or "my/head" as their master branch?
> 
> I do not agree. There is usually a principal branch, where you collect the 
> topics, and you do want to treat that special. As for the name: better 
> have a convention here than configurability. You would not want "git" to 
> be called "guitar" for some users, just because they happen to like that 
> name more, either, right?

because I like the pattern framework described in the book "Software 
Configuration Management Patterns", I like to use "mainline" instead of 
"master", for example.

Jérôme