Subject: Re: svn versus git

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:52:57 +0100

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> On Thursday 14 December 2006 23:07, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> 
>>> ps. I'm blind or there is no documentation about what utilities are
>>> needed to get git fully working? (like sed, coreutils, grep, rcs package
>>> (merge tool afaik needed)...).
>> perl and the standard coreutils, which afaik are required to be present
>> on all unix systems. 
> That's not all. sed and grep is also used. There may be some others hidden 
> deep in git and it would be good to have that docummented (I've hit the 
> problem already with missing some tool when preparing chroot for git).
> 

sed and grep are, along with awk, part of the tools that are required to 
be present on all unix systems. Sorry for the confusion with coreutils 
(the package / software project).

When you set up a chroot environment, you want to at least copy /bin, 
/lib and /sbin to the new root and then remove whatever you *know* you 
don't need from them. Those directories should hold all programs the 
system needs to properly boot up.

>> We no longer require external merge tools. 
> Starting from which version?
> 

Latest only. It was added 2006-12-06 and the dependency on external 
merge program was removed in a commit created 2006-12-13. Junio merged 
the merge-code into master one hour later. It is not in the maint 
branch, so I don't know if any distributions ship git with the new 
xdl_merge() thing. It's *very* good though. Kudos to Johannes Schindelin 
for really making things right.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se