Subject: Re: What's in git.git (stable)

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:48:30 +0100

Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> 
>> It would be nice to have some generic place in git config to specify
>> default options to git commands (at least for interactive shell). It
>> cannot be done using aliases. Perhaps defaults.<command> config variable?
> 
> I would say the alias facility has to be fixed then.
> 
> In bash you can alias "ls" to "ls -l" and it just works.
> 

I think this is because git scripts that need a certain git command to 
work a certain way don't want some alias to kick in and destroy things 
for them. Shell-scripts would have the same problem if you alias "awk" 
to "grep" f.e., which is why prudent shell-scripters use the "unalias 
-a" thing.

Anyways, this should be largely solvable by inventing a "--no-aliases" 
switch to the git wrapper, or by the scripts calling the programs they 
need directly which, afaik, bypasses the alias logic. If it doesn't, it 
should.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se