Subject: Re: [PATCH] make commit message a little more consistent and conforting

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:50:26 +0100

Shawn Pearce wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Yes, but it makes sense for merges where you generally pull someone 
>> elses work or one of your topic branches because it gives a general feel 
>> for the amount of modifications and are a sort of conclusion. Commits 
>> are a different thing, because you should know what kind of changes 
>> you've just done. If you don't you have other problems. I for one run 
>> git diff quite frequently when I'm getting close to a commit to make 
>> sure I don't get only the changes I want. I imagine others do too, so 
>> getting a diffstat when issuing the actual commit would just be noisy 
>> and irritating.
> 
> I do the same (diff a lot before commit) and thus find commit
> outputting anything at all to be noisy and irritating.  Frankly
> the new
> 

I could live with one line (Committed revision %d), but a diffstat is 
always 3 lines minimum, which might well turn out to be 2 lines more 
than I changed. That's way too noisy.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se