Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-branch: deleting remote branches in new layout

From: Quy Tonthat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:02:05 +1100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> How about this instead?
> 
> Because -r already means "remote" when listing, you can say:
> 
> 	$ git branch -d -r origin/todo origin/html origin/man
> 
> I just twisted it not to do fast-forward check with the current
> branch, because remote tracking branches are more like tags than
> branches, and when you are removing them, most likely that is
> not because you are "done with" them (for a local branch, it
> usually means "you merged it up") but because you are not even
> interested in them.

It sure is much more unambiguous that way.

Users won't be able to mix "local" and "remote" on one command
line as they were with the old layout. But that's OK for such an
infrequently used command.

>  		if (!resolve_ref(name, sha1, 1, NULL))
> -			die("Branch '%s' not found.", argv[i]);
> +			die("%sbranch '%s' not found.", remote, argv[i]);

This should not be a fatal error. We should only give warning
and move on to the next item. The way "rm" does.

Quy