Subject: git-svn: follow parent after the fact?

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:14:50 -0800

One of the other git users here just noticed that his git-svn clone of a 
particular svn repo has an inconsistent set of files compared to the svn 
client. Turns out the repo has had its trunk moved around in the past. A 
fresh clone with --follow-parent (which he didn't use) produces the 
correct results.

Obviously he can blow away his current repo and make a new one, but it'd 
be nicer if he could preserve his local change history. Is there any way 
to retroactively apply the additional changes --follow-parent would have 
applied if it had been used on the initial fetch?

It would be better, IMO, if you didn't have to figure out whether or not 
a given remote svn repository has had branch renames in the past in 
order to figure out if you need to provide an extra option to git-svn 
fetch. Maybe --follow-parent should be the default behavior and there 
should be an option to turn it off? Or is there a good reason to not 
want that behavior most of the time? My assumption is that it's not the 
default simply because it's a recent addition.

By the way, I'm completely in favor of renaming commit to set-tree. +1 
for that change.