Subject: Re: Updated Kernel Hacker's guide to git

From: Jay Cliburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:21:02 -0600

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> I refreshed my git intro/cookbook for kernel hackers, at 
> http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html
> 
> This describes most of the commands I use in day-to-day kernel hacking. 
>  Let me know if there are glaring errors or missing key commands.

Thanks for doing this.  I've referred to your previous page rather often 
as I grope around trying to learn git and hack a vendor driver for 
submittal into the mainline kernel.

One thing that baffled me was how to use git to create a "kitchen sink" 
diff that would produce my entire driver suitable for submittal to lkml 
for review.  This probably isn't needed very often, but for new driver 
submittals it's important to know how to do it.  Francois Romieu showed 
me how (assume the new driver branch is named "driver"):

$ git diff $(git merge-base master driver)..driver

As a beginner, this command continues to be utterly non-intuitive to me, 
but it works.  There may be other ways to do it, too.

The point is, I think you should add instructions on your cookbook that 
address how to produce such a "kitchen sink" diff if you're submitting a 
brand new driver to lkml.  (Obviously I don't know what such a diff is 
actually called.)

Jay