Subject: git-send-email --suppress-from option doesn't work.

From: Timur Tabi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:07:24 -0600

The --suppress-from option doesn't work for me because the comparison is too strict.

Here's an example usage of git-send-email:

git-send-email --suppress-from --from [email-masked] --to [email-masked] 
--smtp-server remotesmtp.freescale.net 0001-Add-support-for-the-MPC8349E-mITX-GP.txt

I need to specify the --from option, because otherwise git-send-email will 
prompt me for a From address, and I don't want it to prompt me for anything.

The problem is that the patchfile contains this line:

From: Timur Tabi <[email-masked]>

That means that the patchfile contains the string "Timur Tabi 
<[email-masked]>", but the --from specifies the string 
"[email-masked]".  The code which checks the suppress-from option is here:

                         } elsif (/^(Cc|From):\s+(.*)$/) {
                                 if ($2 eq $from) {
                                         next if ($suppress_from);
                                 }

I don't know Perl, but I'm guess the The "$2 eq $from" is a strict comparison 
that fails in my case.

Some of you might say at this point, "Why don't you  just specify --from "Timur 
Tabi <[email-masked]>"?  I tried that, and it still doesn't work.

Basically, what I want is to prevent git-send-email from CC'ing me on my own 
patches.  No matter what I do, I can't prevent it from adding "Cc: Timur Tabi 
<[email-masked]>" to the email header.

-- 
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale