Subject: Re: Meaning of "fatal: protocol error: bad line length character"?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 01:14:22 +0100

Junio C Hamano escreveu:
> I've seen this "bad line length character" mentioned in #git and
> on this list but nobody seems to have hunted down what this is.
> 
> 	http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/archives/git/0603/17807.html
> 
> is another (Google finds some others for the error message on
> xcb list but that is about fetch-pack which is totally different
> codepath).

if you need another example where this is happening, the anongit
repo for lilypond seems to have gotten in this state as well,

[hanwen@haring tmp]$ git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /tmp/lilypond/.git/
fatal: protocol error: bad line length character
fetch-pack from 'git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git' failed.

pushing/pulling over ssh+git and http still work.

(git 1.5.0rc2, not sure what git.sv.gnu.org is running)

-- 
 Han-Wen Nienhuys - [email-masked] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen