Subject: Re: .git/info/refs

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:41:57 -0800

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> 
> Granted, for some things this might work. However, I would not wreak havoc 
> by changing the format of .git/info/refs, rather put the details you 
> wanted into .git/info/refs-details.
> 

It's not clear to me if it would be wrecking havoc.  After all, if a 
format can't be expanded *at all*, there is something wrong, and adding 
things to the end of a line is a common structured way of expansion. 
Hence the original query

> However, for other things (like showing a certain number of commits), it 
> _might_ make sense to cache them (e.g. when literally thousands of people 
> look at the 100 last commits of linux-2.6.git), but not for others (e.g. 
> the 100th last to the 200th last commit of git-tools.git).

Any query that's within a repository is fairly easily cachable 
post-generation.  The front page (and its RSS variant) is a bit of an 
exception, because it involves all repositories at once.

Doesn't mean we couldn't do better, but...

	-hpa