Subject: Re: cvsimport/cvsps: wrong revisions in branch

From: Simon 'corecode' Schubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:35:30 +0100

Gerrit Pape wrote:
> Hi, I struggle with importing a CVS repository into git to switch over
> development.  In some branches there're differences in the source code
> after importing into git.  We tracked this down to tags and branches
> that where tagged partially in CVS, first a tag was set on one
> subdirectory tree (sources), later on another subdirectory tree (docs).
> This confuses cvsimport or cvsps, the tag in git after import doesn't
> match the tag in CVS.

how do you expect this to ever work?  your tag is not a time stable one.  the tag spans multiple change sets.  best forget the whole tag thing, seriously.  my cvs converter [1] already has a hard time reproducing branches correctly.  doing this with tags is impossible.  svn can do this because they don't have tags, so it is a kind of fake.  of course you could do this in git as well by actually creating a branch for a tag, but it is really messy.  just don't do that.

good luck
  simon

[1]: <http://ww2.fs.ei.tum.de/~corecode/hg/fromcvs>, not 100% yet, but probably the best you can get at the moment.  i'm a perfectionist, so i might never call it "done".

-- 
Serve - BSD     +++  RENT this banner advert  +++    ASCII Ribbon   /"\
Work - Mac      +++  space for low €€€ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /
Party Enjoy Relax   |   http://dragonflybsd.org      Against  HTML   \
Dude 2c 2 the max   !   http://golden-apple.biz       Mail + News   / \