Subject: Re: git.kernel.org move (finally)... estimated week of Feb 5

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 10:59:38 -0800

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On 1/26/07, H. Peter Anvin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Just for everyone's information...
>>
>> The git performance issues (especially) on kernel.org has been very
>> frustrating, obviously.  We're putting a dedicated git server in place
>> hopefully the week of February 5.
> 
> For the hardware geeks out there, do you know what kind of machine it 
> will be?
> 

Sure... it's the DL380 G2 that used to be zeus.kernel.org.  It's not 
ideal (in particular, I would have preferred a 64-bit machine), but it 
has the advantage that it's proven itself rock-solid over the years, it 
has all the hands-off management features, we have it, and it has 6 GB RAM.

As far as filesystem is concerned, we might decide to use this machine 
to test out XFS.  Haven't made the formal decision yet.

	-hpa