Subject: Re: .git/info/refs

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:07:35 -0800

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> No. I would never say that you have to run for-each-ref for each ref. 
> That's plain stupid.

I went back and looked at the thread, and I had indeed misread the 
original message, which was from Jakub, not you.  I think I got in the 
"this is surreal" mode as a result of that (invoking for-each-ref 250 
times is bad enough, obviously.)

> BTW I take some satisfaction in that you finally agreed (in another email) 
> that some post-creation caching is necessary.

I don't believe I have ever disputed that (in fact, I have pushed very 
hard for gitweb to do post-creation caching.)

> I would be even more satisfied if you finally agreed that it is a good 
> practice to separate conceptually different things, and not continued ad 
> infinitum (and ad nauseam) arguing that .git/info/refs should serve dumb 
> transports, and gitweb, and eventually bring peace to everybody on this 
> planet.

I've already said I think it's an aesthetic argument, but I don't really 
care either way, as long as there is only one hook that updates all the 
caches.  I don't want the user to have to juggle an arbitrary and 
increasing number of hooks.

Fair?

	-hpa