Subject: Re: When to repack?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:01:41 +0100

Bill Lear wrote:
> We have a company repo used by many people throughout the day.  When/how
> can I repack this?  I have come to adopt this approach:
> 
> % mv project project.pack
> % cd project.pack
> % GIT_DIR=. git repack -a -d
> % cd ..
> % mv project.pack project
> 

Renaming the directory isn't necessary. The packs won't be used until they
have a .idx file. That .idx-file is written after the packfile, so any
operations on the repo will simply use the old, loose, objects before the
packing is completed.

The worst thing that can happen is that an object about to be fetched is
deleted in its loose version before the upload-pack program can open it,
but that's no worse than having the entire directory being moved out from
under it.

On a side-note, this is a grade A example of something that should typically
be done sunday night at 4am.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231