Subject: Re: MinGW port usable

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 00:28:56 -0800

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> 
> Except they are (for NT-based Windows), so you're doing something goofy. 
>  This is a widely used construct, so it can't be that broken.
> 

Erf... I dug through this, and it seems that WriteFile only works on a 
socket if it has an OVERLAPPED argument now, because the socket is 
opened for overlapping I/O.  This must be new behaviour in XP-SP2, 
because this definitely wasn't the case when I last played with this 
stuff back in 2003.  The Internet is full of people using this 
technique, but I haven't found a way to get a socket which is *not* 
opened for overlapping I/O.

How typical of Microsoft to break an incredibly powerful unified 
paradigm, sort-of repair it, and then break it again.  There doesn't 
seem to be an obvious way to repair this, either, since MS DLLs won't 
let you override for example the write() function as called from inside 
the C runtime DLL.

"Some people are just a total waste of carbon..."

	-hpa