Subject: Re: newbie questions about git design and features (some wrt hg)

From: Simon 'corecode' Schubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:51:09 +0100

Jakub Narebski wrote:
>>> Integrity checks can tell you that repository is corrupted, but it would
>>> be better if it didn't get corrupted in first place.
>> Obviously. Hence our append-only design. Data that's written to a repo
>> is never rewritten, which minimizes exposure to software bugs and I/O
>> errors.
> 
> By the way, RCS / CVS rewrote relevant data (to have diff from the top
> structure) on each commit.
> 
> I wonder if git could generate pack on the fly fastimport like...

What do you mean with that?  generate the pack on which occasion?  CVS import?  I do this already.

cheers
  simon

-- 
Serve - BSD     +++  RENT this banner advert  +++    ASCII Ribbon   /"\
Work - Mac      +++  space for low €€€ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /
Party Enjoy Relax   |   http://dragonflybsd.org      Against  HTML   \
Dude 2c 2 the max   !   http://golden-apple.biz       Mail + News   / \