Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-bundle - bundle objects and references for disconnected transfer.

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:13:47 -0500

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Mark Levedahl wrote:
> 
>> Mark Levedahl wrote:
>>> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>>>
> 
> I don't think you need the bases. If you say "master~10..master" on the 
> sender side, you want to update master on the receiving side, _after_ you 
> verified that receiver already has "master~10".
> 
> Ciao,
> Dscho
> 
git>git-rev-parse master~10..master
dc0f74905bd94b88d3b1d477e79faef7e0308fbf
^602598fd5d8f64028f84d2772725c5e3414a112f

Which shows the new head and the commit that the destination needs. That 
is fine. But:

git>git-rev-parse master --since=10.days.ago
dc0f74905bd94b88d3b1d477e79faef7e0308fbf
--max-age=1170641182

is not helpful: it does not tell what is expected to be on the other 
end. And I find both forms absolutely useful in the ways I use 
git-bundle. The latter one does not tell me what is needed. The only way 
I solved that was to walk all the commits from git-rev-list, one at a 
time, to find the parents, and keep the results not otherwise in the 
list. I found that so terribly slow in bash I gave up on it as 
unworkable: I have found in practice my current solution of git-fsck to 
be much faster.

Mark