Subject: Re: defaults for where to merge from

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:45:11 +0100

>> While I am probably going to modify the patch to satisfy Junio, have you
>> noticed that "git branch -d" will delete the section, hence .git/config
>> will not be growing uncontrollably?
> 
> Maybe you also have noticed that it will remove also the reference?

Sure I have.

> How do I remove the garbage you added for TRACKING?!

I see two possibilities:

1) I can add a "git-config --remove-section" option.  So you can do 
"git-pull" to merge onto your branches, and then remove the tracking 
section.

2) I can add a "git-branch --stop-tracking" option, which just removes 
the section.

3) Same as 2), plus I add a "git-branch --no-track" option, which does 
not add the section in the first place.  But I do believe that there is 
no reason why this cannot be the default.

Paolo