Subject: Re: git-upload-pack: the timeout gets corrupted?!

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:23:53 -0700

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> git-1.5.0.3-1.i386 rpm from Junio's repository on kernel.org:
> 
> Since we got the new git server on kernel.org, we are having a problem 
> with git-upload-pack processes getting reparented to init, and then 
> sitting there forever.  Going in with gdb, it appears the "timeout" 
> variable gets overwritten:
> 
> (gdb) p timeout
> $1 = 608471321
> 
> ... which should have been 600.
> 
> The process spends effectively forever waiting in on the fflush() in 
> show_commit() (in upload-pack.c); /proc/*/fd shows it is trying to write 
> to a pipe, but I'm not sure what is at the other end of that same pipe.
> 

Another observation:

The value is always 608471321 (0x24448919) across all stuck processes 
that I've examined.  This is neither a recent time_t value (it would be 
Thu Apr 13 11:48:41 UTC 1989) nor is it a valid pointer value in any of 
the processes I've looked at.

	-hpa