Subject: svnimport problems (abysmal performance and crash) on Cygwin

From: Rogan Dawes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:39:09 +0100

Hi folks,

I am trying to use git to track the Spring Rich Client project's SVN 
repository, along with some local changes. I am using git 1.5.0.3 as 
packaged by Cygwin, on Windows XP SP2.

The repo's URL is:

<http://spring-rich-c.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/spring-rich-c/trunk/spring-richclient>

I start the import using:

git svnimport -v $url

and then wait (and wait and wait). For some reason, revision 5 takes 
over an hour to complete, from version 4. The repo is not substantial 
(when it eventually fails on rev 102, the unpacked repo is only 148kB).

In addition, it does not complete the import successfully.

Eventually (I left it running while I slept), it crashes on rev 102 with 
the following message:

Tree ID 4b825dc642cb6eb9a060e54bf8d69288fbee4904
Committed change 102:/ 2004-08-03 04:53:31)
Merge parent branch: ab10f9f06566e0fbdb3ee57d7489b53567f313d3
Commit ID 722f84d2578f84a1b64904b0b425e02c0397c40e
Writing to refs/heads/origin
DONE: 102 origin 722f84d2578f84a1b64904b0b425e02c0397c40e
RA layer request failed: REPORT request failed on 
'/svnroot/spring-rich-c/!svn/bc/1001/trunk/spring-richclient': REPORT of 
'/svnroot/spring-rich-c/!svn/bc/1001/trunk/spring-richclient': 200 OK 
(http://spring-rich-c.svn.sourceforge.net) at /usr/bin/git-svnimport 
line 955

Any ideas what might be going on? Or suggestions for debugging this further?

Many thanks

Rogan

P.S. It also looks like Rev 4-5 takes quite a long time under Linux as 
well, from initial analysis.