Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] git-bundle: die if a given ref is not included in bundle

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:16:16 -0400

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> FWIW my plans are to make the pack thin _only_ when there is only one 
> prereq and/or ref in the bundle (this prevents a _wanted_ object being 
> deltified against a not-wanted object).
>
>   
I am not sure that this is really necessary or accomplishes additional 
safety. The prerequisites must exist and be well connected in the target 
repo before the pack file is indexed: presumably, the reference objects 
all exist if the checks hold, or there is a logic flaw in the thin-pack 
generation.

If the prereq test is removed, then avoiding a thin pack might allow the 
pack file to be applied to a repo that held only the prereqs for a 
single head out of many in the bundle, but there is no info for the user 
to understand how or when to do this and I don't really think that is a 
good practice to encourage. I suggest waiting for a well defined 
use-case that really demands being able to apply only part of a pack 
file before implementing.

> Also, as mentioned above, I think that we have to check that "git rev-list 
> --objects <new-refs> --not --all" does not result in missing objects.
>   
This is certainly a good safety check: even though the prereqs are 
satisfied and all *should* be ok, some error might still exist and it is 
better to be safe.
> Ciao,
> Dscho