Subject: Re: Git / Subversion Interoperability

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:00:22 -0700

Christian Wiese wrote:
> I'm currently facing this issue while trying to migrate from svn to git
> within my local working environment to gather experience while working
> with git to be able to effectively "sell" git to the other people of
> our project and provide a smooth migration path for them.
>   

Would a git svn server be of interest in such a situation, though? 
That's exactly the situation I'm in, and git-svn is doing an admirable 
job of integrating the two environments without disrupting the folks who 
are happy with svn. It seems like the git svn server would be useful in 
the opposite environment, where you have a git project that people want 
to access with svn tools (e.g. because there's no git integration in an 
IDE or whatever.)

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what the server in question would do, 
but it seems like it's not likely to be that useful in cases where you 
already have a real svn server running and holding the canonical copy of 
the project.

-Steve