Subject: Re: git.git: topics and things like that

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:46:14 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Heh, how new are you to the list?
>
> Is every three months not often enough?  Meaning, is expecting
> new users to look back that much backlog in the list archive too
> much to ask?
>   

I went looking for an answer to the "what does 'pu' mean?" question when 
I first joined the list, failed to find one, then stumbled across it by 
accident while randomly skimming the archives. "A message from the 
maintainer" is not at first glance an obvious subject line to click on 
if you're searching for that kind of introductory information -- putting 
on my "unfamiliar with the list's conventions" hat, I'd expect a message 
of that title to contain something like, "Hey guys, can you help test 
XYZ?" or "The list archives will be moving in two weeks" or, more 
likely, "Our hosting is costing us too much and we need donations."

It would be convenient for new users and, I assume, not much additional 
effort to put the URL of that Wiki page at the top of the "what's 
cooking" messages. Barring that, maybe the "A message from the 
maintainer" email should be titled "Introduction to git project 
management" or something similar that would make it immediately obvious 
to a new user that it's something they should read to get general 
background information about the project.

Just IMO. At this point I've been lurking here long enough that I don't 
need it for myself, but I do remember wishing that info were easier to find.

-Steve