Subject: Re: Type mismatches in safe_read and friends?

From: Rogan Dawes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:34:03 +0200

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>  
>> Or is it just a case that we don't really care, since we control the 
>> ranges of the values, and the underlying types are int anyway? Patches 
>> to follow if I get an indication that anyone cares, otherwise I'd be 
>> posting my question to a C newbies group. ;-)
> 
> It is sort of a case we don't care.  These probably should be fixed.
> A patch would be nice.  You want to learn C...  ;-)
> 

Ok. So I did a little patch, but I'm not sure whether I solved anything. 
Now we have an implicit cast from size_t to ssize_t in packet_read_line.

I guess this echoes your comment about requesting a large size_t, and 
getting a ssize_t result back. I suppose in theory we should be refusing 
to handle a length greater than that which would fit into a ssize_t? Or 
simply making sure to always return data smaller than max(ssize_t)?

Patch to follow.

Rogan