Subject: [PATCH] git-archive: document CWD effect

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:28:30 +0200

Signed-off-by: Rene Scharfe <[email-masked]>
---

Nick Williams schrieb:
> git-archive only archives the current working dir (and sub dirs) even
> when no paths are specified. For example, if I do
> 
> git archive --format=tar --prefix=git-1.5.0.2/ HEAD > ~/test/test.tar
> 
> from with in the Documentation dir, then I only get part of the tree.
> 
> Is this the intended behavior?
> 
> The reason I ask is that from my (mis)reading of the man page I expect
> to get all of the tree unless paths are specified.

Sorry about the late reply.  Would these two additional manpage lines
clear things up for you?

Thanks,
René

diff --git a/Documentation/git-archive.txt b/Documentation/git-archive.txt
index 493474b..b688330 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-archive.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-archive.txt
@@ -17,6 +17,9 @@ Creates an archive of the specified format containing the tree
 structure for the named tree.  If <prefix> is specified it is
 prepended to the filenames in the archive.
 
+Only the files and directories in the current working directory are
+included in archives created locally (i.e. without --remote).
+
 'git-archive' behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when
 given a commit ID or tag ID.  In the first case the current time is
 used as modification time of each file in the archive.  In the latter