Subject: Re: FFmpeg considering GIT

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 18:09:31 +0200

Andy Parkins wrote:
> On Friday 2007 May 04, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > for these we currently copy the last good version of the affected files
> > over the current one with svn cp and then apply the changes in nicely
> > split manner. (possibly without the reindention if its uneeded ...)
> 
> I might be misunderstanding, but doesn't that leave the "bad" commit in the
> history?

In the history? Yes.
In the blame? No.

> 
>  * -- * -- G -- B -- !B -- 1 -- 2 -- 3
> 
> B is the bad commit; !B would be the result of the svn cp from the previous
> known-good revision, "G"; then 1, 2, and 3 would be the correctly split
> version of "B".

With svn cp you actually create this "blame" history:

* -- * -- G -- B
           \
             ----- G* -- 1 -- 2 -- 3

where G* is a new revision, but since it is otherwise identical to G, it
does not introduce new blame-able lines.

-- Hannes