Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFD 4/3] t7300: Tests for git-clean using filenames with spaces/punctuation

From: Michael Spang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 15:14:04 -0400

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Michael Spang <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Is this even properly solvable without making clean a builtin or
>> writing git-unescape?
> 
> If you know how to use "xargs -0" and are willing to depend on
> the -0 GNU extension, then the answer is yes.

Right. But I do not think xargs can call a shell function. git-clean
does not just call git-rm directly. I guess git-clean could call
itself through xargs, but that might become confusing.

> I do not use git-clean myself, as I do not see what (I think) it
> tries to solve as a problem to begin with, so obviously I do not
> care too deeply about the command's implementation --- I just
> let it be there because there seem to be others who want it ---
> but if I were asked an advice on the right direction to proceed,
> I would probably suggest rewriting it in C.

That seems like the cleanest solution to me as well.

Cheers,
Michael Spang