Subject: Re: Anyone running GIT on native Windows

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 09:02:12 +0200

Aaron Gray wrote:
> What I want is to be able to work in Windows CMD and envoke .sh scripts by
> association (unfortunately you have to add the .sh on the command name
> though).

I run the mingw port exclusively from CMD without a .sh association. So
exclusively that I don't even know whether any other way of using the
tools even works. Of course, you have to get used to

  git status
  git fetch
  git commit
  git rebase

etc. instead of

  git-status
  git-fetch
  git-commit
  git-rebase

and I also use CMD's tab completion frequently, with leaves \ instead of
/ in the paths. I also quite often do

  git clone p:\public\repos\foo.git

and

  git clone p:/public/repos/foo.git

without a hitch.

Sure, you need a set of Posix tools (sed, grep, cat, wc, sort, ...)
including a Bourne shell that knows how to invoke other scripts by
parsing the interpreter from the first line (#!/bin/sh). (But the perl
scripts (git-remote) will probably work only with MinGW's perl.)

-- Hannes