Subject: Deprecate git-svnimport?

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 00:16:36 -0700

On 5/7/07, Steven Grimm <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Try git-svn rather than git-svnimport. The latter, AFAIK, is no longer
> really maintained. ...

I said that because in the time I've been using git and reading this 
list, I think I've seen a grand total of one patch to git-svnimport, a 
ton of them to git-svn, and an occasional new user posting about 
git-svnimport failing to do something that git-svn would have done if 
they'd used it instead.

It looks like git-svnimport hasn't been updated to the 1.5.x remote 
branch naming convention (it still calls the svn head tracking branch 
"origin" if its manpage is to be believed).

Originally it looked like git-svn was what you used if you wanted to 
track just one svn branch bidirectionally, and git-svnimport was how you 
tracked multiple svn branches read-only. But now that git-svn has good 
handling of multi-branch svn repositories, I wonder if git-svnimport 
still serves a purpose. Should it perhaps be deprecated and removed in a 
future release? Or is it still useful for things that git-svn doesn't 
handle?

-Steve