Subject: Re: Expected test suite behavior

From: Amogh Dambal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2026 15:25:11 -0700

> What are the OS and file system on the host?  We tend to see
 > executable bits set when NTFS, FAT, or other Windows-adjacent file
 > systems are used on Linux and you're mounting `$(PWD)` into the
 > container as a volume.

Ah, this is a smoking gun. I'm not on a Windows-adjacent file system; 
I'm running macOS Sequoia 15.5 on the host. Specifically:

$ uname -msprsv
Darwin 24.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 24.5.0: Tue Apr 22 19:54:26 PDT 
2025; root:xnu-11417.121.6~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8112 arm64 arm

But I am mounting $(PWD) into the container as a volume.

 > Git doesn't use `/tmp` for most files in the tests.  Those are stored
 > under `t/`, so you'd want to create your test directory there.

ACK, good to know, thanks! I am still seeing the same behavior with a 
`debug` directory under `t/`:

root@ec94ab1b260e:~/git/t/debug# /root/git/git init plain
root@ec94ab1b260e:~/git/t/debug# ls -alhrt 
/root/git/t/debug/plain/.git/config
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 111 May 25 22:24 /root/git/t/debug/plain/.git/config