Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-archive: recursive prefix directory creation

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 12:51:11 +0200

Junio C Hamano schrieb:
> René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Junio C Hamano schrieb:
>>> René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> 
>>>> Currently git-archive only adds a single directory entry for
>>>> prefixes, e.g. for --prefix=a/b/c/ only the directory a/b/c/
>>>> would be added to the archive, not a/ nor a/b/.  While tar and
>>>> unzip don't seem to have a problem handling these missing
>>>> entries, their omission was not intended.
>>> Until we start tracking directories (we briefly discussed, and I 
>>> think I agree with Linus that it should not be too painful), I'd 
>>> rather keep the current behaviour which I feel is more consistent
>>> with what we really are doing.
>> Hmm, fair enough.  I started out with a simple cleanup and then I
>> guess went a bit overboard with that overblown path walker. :-]
> 
> Well, I take that back -- I did not realize you were primarily 
> talking about the LEADING part of the path.

In any case, please don't apply this patch.  I checked again, and it
turns out both tar and zip don't always add leading directories to
archives.  So my "cleanup" only adds bloat.  I'll try to find another
way to beautify the code.

René