Subject: Re: Commit ID in exported Tar Ball

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 13:20:23 +0200

Shawn O. Pearce schrieb:
> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Something like the following patch?  Since we're already embedding the
>>> commit ID in a comment, we might as well offer creating a synthetic file
>>> for it, too, if that solves a user's problem that might be difficult to
>>> work around otherwise.
> 
> What about being able to get the output of git-describe embedded
> into an archive file?  Doesn't git.git do that in its Makefile?  ;-)
> 
> git-describe is more human-friendly than a SHA-1...

Yes, and the Makefile does even more than that: it adds a version file,
a spec file and another version file for git-gui.

The first two are probably useful for most projects that actually do
versioned releases.  We could have a simple parser that reads a
template, replaces @@VERSION@@ with a git-describe output string and
adds the result as a synthetic file to the archive.  It's not exactly
trivial -- e.g., how to specify git-describe options, template file and
synthetic name, all in one command line parameter? -- but it's doable.

I'm not sure how the git-gui version file fits in.  I guess it's just a
special case and doesn't need git-archive support?

René