Subject: Re: GIT on MinGW problem

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:10:55 +0200

Marius Storm-Olsen wrote:
> 
> Johannes Sixt said the following on 29.05.2007 12:54:
> > Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> >> Johannes Sixt escreveu:
> >>> * git without an correct git subcommand should list 20 or so
> >>> commands, but it doesn't. The list is just empty.
> >> there was a problem in generate cmd list,  (I have sort in /bin/
> >> ). I recommend to add
> >
> > Strange. Here, MSYS aliases /usr to /, hence /usr/bin/sort is the
> > same as /bin/sort.
> >
> > (For the curious ones: The MinGW port has to replace occurrences of
> > 'sort' by '/usr/bin/sort', otherwise Windows's 'sort' would be
> > picked up in shell scripts, because the latter usually comes first
> > in %PATH%^W$PATH. Same for 'find'.)
> 
> I get that here too, no matter what I set the mount point to be, and
> without the fstab file at all.

When I inserted '/usr/bin/sort' I had checked for 'which sort' on my
Linux and it gave me /usr/bin/sort. Now I see that /bin/sort is probably
the canonical path to sort on any *nix. Will change that. But is this
also true for 'find'?

> Also, the /bin/gitk.bat file should rather be
>      @"%~d0%~p0wish84.exe" "%~d0%~p0gitk" %*
> than the current hardcoded path. (Probably won't work with
> command.com, but who uses that for development nowadays anyways, right ;-)

Nice trick! But don't try this at home without parental guidance! It
fills your screen with recursive console window invocations of itself.

I put this into gitk.cmd (didn't try .bat):

@start wish84.exe "%~d0%~p0gitk" %*

assuming wish84 is in the PATH (which is probably a sane assumption
because either it is part of the installer, in which case it should have
set up the PATH, or you have Tcl/Tk installed for some other reason, in
which case you will want to have it in the PATH, too).

Futhermore, I like to have the GUI sent into the background
automatically and without opening another console window, hence, the use
of 'start'.

-- Hannes