Subject: Re: GIT on MinGW problem

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:49:31 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> 
> 2007/5/29, Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>:
> 
> > > I get that here too, no matter what I set the mount point to be, and
> > > without the fstab file at all.
> >
> > When I inserted '/usr/bin/sort' I had checked for 'which sort' on my
> > Linux and it gave me /usr/bin/sort. Now I see that /bin/sort is probably
> > the canonical path to sort on any *nix. Will change that. But is this
> > also true for 'find'?
> 
> I suggest that you add $PATH  appropriately (prepending /bin and
> /usr/bin/ ) and then
> let the OS figure it out. The other option is to write an autoconf
> test to discover the proper path.

'sort' (and 'find' for that matter) is not only used by the build
scripts, but also by some shell scripts of the toolset. Hence, the path
would have to be modified for each 'git foo' invocation, IOW, by git.exe
itself. I don't like this solution.

The alternative, to force the user to put his $MSYSDIR/bin before $WINNT
(which would require admin rights, btw, because the system's PATH must
be modified), I like even less.

I've to think a bit more about this.

-- Hannes